This information is obtained from either the group website or Facebook page. Details of where the data was acquired and the date of acquisition is included at the bottom of the text. Do you have more information to add? Fill out the form below.
Welcome to Ballina Environment Society
The Society is Ballina Shire’s only organisation dedicated solely to protecting the natural environment and defending environmental values shire-wide. “BES” was established in 1983 and is an autonomous Incorporated Association with community-wide membership open to all who support its Objectives and Rules. It is not affiliated with any political party. BES is managed by a Committee elected annually by Members and is a key player in environmental affairs affecting the Shire, the Region and the State of NSW. BES is recognised and respected by both Local and State Governments. It boasts a proud record of fighting major environmental battles affecting the Shire and the Region. That fight continues unremittingly. BES warmly welcomes individual membership by any resident of Ballina Shire. It also offers organisational membership to other Incorporated Associations that share its values and work to defend the environment.
Current Major Concerns of BES
Ballina Shire Council Response to the Declared Climate Emergency
Water Resource Management and prevention of Rous Water’s ecologically destructive dam
Protection of our sensitive coastal environment and monitoring of Ballina Council’s Coastal Management Plan
Advocating for immediate transition to renewables and decrease in the use of fossil fuels throughout the Ballina Shire
The Society’s Constitution requires it to:
- Work to protect the shire’s natural environment and its special ecological sites and features
- Encourage native wildlife/habitat preservation
- Encourage public policies that recognise the intrinsic and practical value of local fauna and flora and promote their appreciation
- Work for environmental harmony in major land and building development proposals
- Encourage long-term environmentally sustainable, low-impact, economic public works programs.
- Support sustainable primary industries via sound natural resource management
- Promote planning policies to preserve the natural environment, beautify the shire and achieve a built environment benefiting future generations
- Encourage habitat maintenance and expansion for native flora and fauna to flourish
- Encourage eradication of environmentally harmful plants and animals
- Cooperate with all tiers of government and in partnership with other like-minded organisations.
- Legal action
- Public meetings
- Media releases, letters
- Public education
- Public Policy Monitoring
- Email list discussions
- Membership of Local Govt. panels/committees
- Representations to Local Government
- Partnership with other environmental organisations
Executive Committee: Elected office-bearers consist of: President, Vice- President, Secretary, Treasurer; Publicity Officer. Additional committee members are co-opted at the discretion of the Executive.
Meetings: All members are welcome to attend and contribute to committee meetings in a non-voting capacity. Meetings are held monthly at 5.30pm, generally at the home of one of the Executive.
Working Parties: Working groups are formed to research and pre- pare positions on particular issues, then recommend and implement appropriate action. Members can be co-opted to sit on these groups and contribute their special talents, energy and expertise. (sourced from webszite http://ballinaenvironmentsociety.org.au/ 21/9/2022)
Text added from form supplied by volunteer 19/9/2022:
Improvements made to Ballina Local Environmental Plan
The avoidance of an illegal Wardel landing strip
The Community Against Sand Mining Campaign (CASM)
Improvements done in the Prospect Bridge construction to avoid unnecessary mangroves destruction
Text from previous website 2021: Welcome to Ballina Environment Society Blog Jinda Walla. Ballina Environment Society (BES) was incorporated in 1982. BES meets every third Thursday of the month at 48 Barrett Drive, Lennox Head Membership: $5 per year Open to all who accept BES’s rules and objects
Urban Water Management Strategy
Lake Ainsworth Masterplan
Coastal Reserve Plan of Management
Far North Coast Regional Strategy
Local Environment Plan Revision
Pacific Highway upgrade
Vegetation management (Sourced from website 29/10/2021)